E2 Visa Spouse

E2 Investor and E-2 Visa Spouse Processing Time

Processing Time when applying from the US 

E-2 applicants and their E-2 visa spouse who came to the U.S. on B1/B2 visa or other type of visas, can apply directly with USCIS.  The typical USCIS process will take approximately six to eight weeks. The E-2 visa spouse and the E-2 applicant can apply at the same time. This is based on the average processing time, which could take more or less time based on a number of factors. During this processing time, USCIS will either approve or deny the petition or issue a request for additional evidence (RFE) for both the E-2 applicant, or the E-2 visa applicant’s spouse. If USCIS asks for additional evidence, then processing time may take longer. However, it is important to note that a change of status within the US will not result in the E2 Visa but, instead, merely E2 status for both the applicant and the E-2 visa spouse. The status will be valid for two years but if the foreign national wishes to leave the US to travel they will have to apply for a visa from the applicable US Consulate in the future.  Alternatively, if the applicant and the E-2 visa spouse do not need to travel outside of the US the E2 Status can be renewed every two years providing for continued eligibility. 


U.S. Consulate Process


Most E-2 investors and E-2 visa spouse must submit their E-2 application through a U.S. Consulate. The processing time for an E2 visa differs by Consulate, which could take anywhere from about two months to four months. After the processing time is completed, the Consulate will set up an interview with the E2 visa investor and E-2 visa spouse.  If the E-2 visa is approved, it may take up to a week or two weeks to issue the visa to the E-2 investor and the E-2 visa spouse.  The E-2 visa that is issued grants the E-2 investor and their spouse permission to remain in the US for 24 consecutive months. Then, the E-2 visa can be renewed in 2 years increments. The E-2 visa spouse would also get a work permit that allows him/her to work freely in the U.S. You can check processing times on different U.S. consulates websites. As with the USCIS process, the attorneys of Cornerstone Law Offices can assist foreign E-2 investors and their E-2 visa spouse with applying for an E-2 visa through a U.S. Consulate.

We have experienced E-2 LAWYERS that can assist you through the whole process.  To schedule a confidential consultation, contact our office at (714) 678-9770.


Cornerstone Law Services

2500 E Ball Rd, Suite 200 Anaheim, Orange County 92806


9500 Artesia Blvd Bellflower,

CA  90706

©2018 by Cornerstone Law Services. All rights reserved  |  Privacy Policy  |  Cookie Policy

DISCLAIMER: No information you obtain from this website or its content is legal advice, nor is it intended to be. You should consult an attorney for individualized advice regarding your own situation. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed by your viewing this website or downloading and using the content, forms, tips or information kits found on this website. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed without a fully-executed, written agreement to enter into such a relationship. Client testimonials or endorsements do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.